Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Nesting Instinct Gone Wild

I was just writing an email to my friend Lisa about how my nesting instinct is going nuts. Then I thought - this is such a fascinating subject that I must share it with everyone! Or I'm bored. Probably just bored.

For those of you who aren't familiar - the nesting instinct is defined on Wikipedia as "an instinct or urge in pregnant animals to prepare a home for the upcoming newborn(s). It is found in a variety of animals (both mammals and birds) and can occur in human mothers as well."

I thought this was bogus until I was pregnant with Jack and found myself spending long hours in his room folding his clothes, putting them away, leaving the room - then deciding that it was pure insanity to have the pajamas on the bottom shelf instead of the top one. I mean, who is going to want to reach that far down at night to find a set of pajamas? I might fall over and the baby would come crashing down and it would be all my fault since I hadn't given enough thought to the layout of the room.

Well, this pregnancy appears to be no different. The problem is that our nursery doesn't have any furniture in it, and therefore I can't start my endless loop of folding, unfolding, stacking and unstacking. We're waiting to figure out if a friend of the family is going to be able to do the mural and if not, we have to figure out a Plan B. Of course I've spent a lot of time "nesting" over the Plan B. I also have taken out my instinctual frustrations on Jack's room. I have been through his clothes 3 times in the last 6 months - sorting out the ones he's grown out of or I've grown tired of and moving new ones in. I've also insisted on getting more shelving in his room so I can rearrange his books and toys all the time. He frequently asks me why I moved something or put something somewhere new.

What is toddler-speak for "Momma is going crazy and needs this friggin' nursery to be done already!?!?"

No comments: