Monday, May 5, 2008

Expanding our Horizons

Chuck, Jack and I got to see something TOTALLY new this last weekend. Uncle Ry Ry and Grampa introduced us to the world of Professional Bull Riding (PBR). I have to admit, Chuck and I had no idea what to expect! Our verdict? It was fantastic! It was so much fun and extremely entertaining! The bulls were really well-trained and the riders and bull "fighters" (who keep the riders safe) are really good athletes. Plus Ryan and I got a kick out of discussing all the marketing/membership/PR aspects of the whole thing.

Anyway, After such adventures Chuck and I like to ask Jackson what his favorite part was, and he's started reciprocating ("Momma, what YOUR favorite?").
Jack's favorite: "BOOM BOOM!" (accompanying gesture is something like what Florida Gator fans do - clapping hands while they are parallel to the floor)

Chuck's favorite: Rocky the bull blimp

Jamie's favorite: Petting the bull outside! I want to take him home!


Jamie's other favorite was not caught on camera because apparently Chuck (photographer) was not as obsessed with the rodeo clown as I was. He's not your typical rodeo clown - to be clear. He sings and dances (Beyonce moves, no less), and is a comedian as well. Name's Flint Rasmussen (did I just sound like a cowgirl?). Anyway, he's worth the trip to the event all by himself, in my opinion.
Last night I was showing Jack pictures from our weekend. He saw the following one:


This picture is from the opening of the event, where they announce the riders. In Des Moines they had them all come out one by one and shake hands with some local first responders. When they first sent the responders out in the arena, the crowd stood up and applauded their service. So Jack saw this picture and said "Dem peoples say 'taint too firemen!" (thank you firemen). Then he said "don't touch fire! Dat very hot!"

Who knew bull riding would be a civics and safety lesson as well?

Anyway, it was a great weekend! Thanks to Grampa and Ry Ry for showing us the ropes. Pun intended. (What's the matter with me today?)

No comments: