Friday, June 3, 2011

Corduroy

I was putting Jack in bed tonight, when Ryker marched in and announced that he could read Corduroy to us all by himself. He hopped up on the bed and got ready. He opened to the first page, then paused, looked at the front cover, and goes "what his name?"

Mom: "That's Corduroy."
Ryker: "Oh...okay. Code-woy was by eh-fant and juh-waff."
(shows picture to me and Jack, who is playing Angry Birds at this point on my phone.)
M: (smiles)
R: "No yaffing."
M: "I'm not laughing, I'm smiling because I like how you are reading to me."
R: "No smi-ying."
M: "Okay. Sorry."
R: "Okay...(going back to the book) What his name?"
M: "Corduroy."
R: "Oh. And what HIS name is?" (pointing to the next page)
M: "Corduroy."
R: "Oh. Okay. Code-woy saw stairs. He walkin on dah stairs. See?" (showing the picture to Jack, who isn't watching, and me, who isn't smiling.)
M: (nodding)
R: "Don't go yike dis." (mimes nodding)
M: "Okay, sorry."
R: "It ok...(back to the book) What his name?"
M: "Corduroy."
R: "Okay...and what DIS?" (pointing at the escalator in the picture)
Chuck: "That's an escalator."
R: "What?"
C: "Escalator."
R: "Okay. Code-woy go up da esk-yatoh."

So this goes on for awhile. Every time he shows me a picture, I have to not laugh, not smile, and not nod.

Finally I lost it and cracked up laughing. I had tears streaming down my face. I couldn't stop laughing. I was talking through my laughing fit and saying "it's so hard not to laugh or smile!" He thought I was crying from sadness, so he leaned over (I was laying down), hugged me and kissed me, and goes "dat okay Mommy, you can yaff. It ok."

1 comment:

Coolest people ever said...

Don't tell Ryker, but I just yaffed out loud about five times reading that exchange. He cracks me up! And you're really good at transcribing little kid talk ... I can totally hear him saying "don't go yike dis!" LOL (I mean YOY)