Friday, June 10, 2011

The OCD Doesn't Fall Far From the Tree

This morning Jack was playing in the entryway and found an extra tub of sidewalk chalk. He showed me, then announced that when he touches certain things, like paper and chalk, his whole body feels funny. Then he goes "even saying the words makes me feel weird sometimes."

Those of you who know me really well, and especially Christi, who shares these afflictions, are laughing right now.

I have a thing about textures. I can't use certain kinds of silverware because it makes my skin tingle and my teeth hurt. I can't touch my fingers, most importantly my nails, to certain kinds of towels. Unfortunately, it's the cheap kinds. I can't touch chalkboards (many people share that one with me, but they generally stop there I think). I'm not fond of chalk either. I hate paper, both because of the texture and because I'm terrified of paper cuts. I can't touch the chips in our plates because the unglazed ceramic makes my whole body shiver.

There are more, but I'm forgetting them now. (Christi - what am I forgetting???)

Anyway, poor Chuck. He's going to have two of us in this house who are afraid of inanimate objects.

4 comments:

Coolest people ever said...

Welcome to the club, Jack! Just reading that part about the silverware made me shudder. Paper doesn't bother me but anything metal does, including doorknobs and pens. Great, now my teeth hurt!
You need a whole separate post on noises ...
Beth is reading this and thinking "thank god the crazy gene skipped me!" :o)

Bethk said...

I don't think its crazy genes, I think its because you guys ate all of the poisonous rondos.

KellyM said...

LOL...that's it, Beth! You got 'em --- finally! I'm SURE that's what caused it!

Jamie said...

OH! Christi's comment made me remember more of mine.

Flour. I hate touching flour. Also, I can't write with mechanical pencils.

And Beth - that was REALLY well-played. =)