Monday, June 13, 2011

OCD - The Sound List

Christi called it in the comment section of the last post. Our sensory issues extend to sounds. Here are the sounds I cannot handle.

-Breathing (I wish I was kidding about that)
-Chewing noises
-Swallowing noises
-Cracking of joints
-Crackling of food wrappers
-Utensils on dishes
-Styrofoam (yes, it makes noises)
-Pens tapping

Again, there are more, I'm sure. Chuck can probably name them all.

I would like to take this chance to point out, as you are all sitting there shaking your collective heads in judgment, that it is NOT FUN to have this malady. I don't CHOOSE this. It makes eating with people and going to movies a horrid experience. I come away physically exhausted from shuddering and holding my hands over my ears. Plus I look like a weirdo.

We think Ryker might be developing this one, by the way. He seems abnormally tuned in, and bothered by, noises around him.

Sigh...

1 comment:

the fabulous Nikki B said...

Um... how do you make it through a day?? Things like chalkboards are easy enough to avoid... but you can't exactly avoid people breathing or swallowing! I feel so bad for you! Hug!