Monday, March 31, 2008

A reflection on routine…

It was only a matter of time that I start thinking about my first post to the family blog, a momentous event to be sure. The one thing that bothered me was my use of the word routine. Routine just didn’t correctly capture what happens in the morning.

There are many definitions of the word routine, depending on the context. In general, a routine is a set of steps or procedures that occur in a linear fashion with no variation in the process. This is a poor description of what happens each morning.

On further consideration of the morning process, I came to realize that the morning is more fluid. It is not a set of unchanging steps that are followed in strict order. Rather, there are a few events that happen, eating, dressing etc, that happen but how we get there varies. I quickly realized what I was describing was not a routine, but in many was it was an analog for a raga, specifically a Hindustani raga.

As you surely know, a raga is many things. The word translates to colour or mood, but also has a more expansive meaning. A raga has a series of five or more musical notes that are used to build a melody and the mood that it creates in the listener. Hindustani ragas, in addition to mood, are designed to be played at certain times of day or season, for example in the morning. Another aspect of classical Indian music and ragas, which in terms of history makes European classical music look like the latest Top 40 fare, is its improvisational nature. A raga is not a set score, rather a framework that has a certain rhythmic and melodic structure in which the improvisation is used to flesh out the piece.

So my morning is not simply a routine, rather a Jackson morning raga. Each morning has a basic framework and a certain rhythm where Jackson and I use a series of themes to build the melody.


I feel that this is a much better description of my morning and I can finally rest peacefully. It is also an excuse to use my knowledge of classical Indian music. Who says liberal arts educations are not useful?

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Is anyone else really impressed by my husband right now?

Anonymous said...

Right now???? I always have been! I told you this was a special post - very thoughtful! I love learning the "morning raga" terminology...SO fitting!

Coolest people ever said...

Show off.