Friday, March 28, 2008

Difficult Last Name

Van Nostrand has been quite the last name to get adjusted to. It took me awhile to learn how to spell it, first of all. Once you get that down, it would seem easy to pronounce. Almost everyone gets it wrong though. Common variations are Von Nostrand, Van Norstrand, Van Norstrum, and Von Nordstrom. Due to my gender neutral first name, I have even had letters addressed to me as Mr. Nostrand.

Usually it's fairly annoying to keep correcting people - until I heard my own child's interpretation. I LOVE it and don't want to correct him. It's got a nice ring to it. Here's the story:

Chuck and I realized we had never really told Jack his full name. So the other night while we were reading books I asked him if he wanted to know his full name. He got very excited and said yes.

Momma: Your name is Jackson (Jack smiles)....Manning (blank stare)...Van Nostrand (pause - giggles).
Jackson: Jackson Banjostrand (more giggles).
Momma: Want to hear something even sillier? Do you want to know our names? I'm Jamie Van Nostrand and that's Chuck Van Nostrand.
Jackson: (hysterical laughter as he tries to repeat the names...pause...) Momma Banjostrand. Dadda Banjostrand. Jackson Banjostrand.

5 comments:

BJ said...

and how about these baby names....
Beau Jangle Banjostrand
Dewlin Banjostrand
Strum Minona Banjostrand
Blu Grass Banjostrand
Picken Ona Banjostrand
and our favorite...
Shea Keyes Pisa Banjostrand

Coolest people ever said...

Okay it looks like Gaga and Papa have been hitting the wine bottle at the Lake ... awesome list!

I agree Jamie, Jack's interpretation is by far the best. You should have it legally changed. Jamie Banjostrand. I love it!

If Chip and I ever had a kid, which we won't, but if we did, we could name it Fisher. Or Verrilo. Or Vincent. Or Fried.

Jamie said...

I'm dying laughing right now. Chuck wants to add one to Christi's list - Isright. Mostly for the phone book.

Coolest people ever said...

I almost forgot one ... T. Rowe ...

Jamie said...

Half?