Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Morning Routine....

As many parents know, routine is important to kids. Jackson is no exception.

Each morning, I put a frozen waffle in the toaster and then go get Jackson. I have learned that having the waffle ready to go right as Jackson gets in his high chair is important. If a waffle is not ready, the questioning about whether or not he is going to have a waffle goes on the entire time the waffle is “cooking”.

Jackson will typically wake up when I open his door, if he isn't awake already. His first words each day are, "Me have waffle?" I say that he will have a waffle, but that we need to get dressed first. Getting dressed can be seen as an impediment to eating waffles or it can be strangely exciting. Either way, he requests to wear his "hatar shirt". The hatar shirt is an orange shirt with a guitar on it and really should be worn everyday. 6 of the 7 days, the hatar shirt is dirty and just to make sure that I will wash it; Jackson asks if I will wash it. Once we have clarified the laundry status of the hatar shirt, the selection of jeans or sweatpants is made and which shirt to wear. The instant he is dressed, he makes the short run to the pantry to pick something out to eat, which is usually a "froot bedder" (a fruit leather to untrained ears). Recently "froot snax" have replaced froot bedders, but one is always needed for breakfast.

Once strapped into his high chair, another query into waffles is made at which point I hand him the waffle. There is, of course, concern if the waffle is too hot and I assure him that it is not too hot. A cup of "milt" and he is ready to commence eating and humming. Jackson will take a break from eating and humming to ask for "Muffin Man" which is a song on a CD filled with nursery songs. We then talk about what is coming up and generally miss all of the Muffin Man song. After Jackson has eaten everything and usually something more, he proclaims "Me all done" which will typically follow a few more hand full of veggie chips, Craisins, raisins or froot snax.

At this point, everyone is dressed and ready to say bye bye to Momma. With some convincing he will go and give Momma a hug. As quickly as he can squirm away, he runs out to the entry way and tries to engage "his Sunshine" by waving his arms near it. At this point, I wander over and actually turn on his Sunshine, a motion activated animated sunflower that sings "You Are My Sunshine". We listen to that a few times over while I get his boots on. While getting his "puffy coat" he will run over to "his mat" where he needs to stand while Jamie takes his snowy boots and mittens off after daycare.

Peppered throughout the whole morning process, there is debate whether I will be taking him to daycare or if Momma will be taking him to daycare.

"Dadda, you take me day kair?"
"Yep."
"Momma pick me up?"
"Yep, Momma will pick you up."

Before we can walk out the door, I will usually have to tell Jackson that we won't be able to bring whatever thing he is holding to daycare because we don't want to lose it. There is then a discussion over which car we are taking.

"We take bid ban?"
"No, we are taking my car today."
"Dis car? Daddas car?"
"Yep."

Finally, we end up in the car and are ready to go. We then say goodbye to his bike as we backup out of the garage. Sometimes the house gets a goodbye as we drive away, but many times there are more pressing issues like which way we are going or “what that man doing?”

On our drive to daycare we “go down dat yamp” and drive by the “mallmerica” (Mall of America) where apparently there is a moose, the city bus takes him there “nother day” and saw the “nut packer” (The Nut Cracker). We again talk about “what that man doing” and when I explain that all the people on the road are driving Jackson asks me “what you doing?” Occasionally, he will ask if “that man dangeus?” to which I explain that no one is being dangerous but you have to watch out thinking that a fear of cars isn’t the worst thing. Continuing north, we pass by the “air porkt” where air planes are “wandin”.

The best part is that once we are past these landmarks that are in my opinion, especially the Mall of America, aren’t exactly what I want my child to be excited about is beautiful Lake Nokomis. Jackson is continually unimpressed by the lake and the fact that we are driving on a bridge that literally goes over the lake. I point out how pretty the lake is and whatever is happening to the lake to sheer silence. The car ride from the air porkt to daycare is usually pretty quiet.

The adventure ends when we pull into the parking lot of daycare, which Jackson spotted a block or so before we got there. As we get out of the car, there is usually some animal the needs to be looked at, a dog, a bird or a squirrel. We then make the long, slow walk into daycare. He makes a bee line to the receptionist to say “Hi.” The receptionist is a sweet, older woman that has three sons of her own and always has something good to say to Jackson. I then suggest we go see who is already there.

Jackson bangs on the door to daycare until Mrs. Kay comes to open it. Jackson runs in and gives Mrs. Kay a big huge and the day can finally begin for Jackson. Once the coat and boots are off, Jackson runs off to play. He can sometimes be distracted from what he is about to do to say goodbye to me and on the rare occasion I get a hug before I go.

Wait 23 hours and repeat.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I laughed my way through this...having witnessed the entire routine many times. The funny thing is, I see it each time I'm there...SAME routine....EACH time! Of course I SPOIL the routine a little...if I happen to be the one who opens his door in the morning...then it's sort of a surprise! But as soon as we've established that yes, I'm still there, then it's "hatar shirt" time....and the fun begins! Can't wait to be up there again soon! I miss my little "muffin man"!

Coolest people ever said...

In my house, we have a slightly different routine, one my kids recently told me they enact with daddy often for entertainment purposes.

First, mommy hits the snooze button on her alarm clock at least seven times. Then she stumbles into Joshua's room, digs through a mound of blankets to find a body part, and says it's time to wake up.

Then I go to Kaya's room, where the alarm first went off 15-20 minutes ago, and tell her it's time to get up and dressed.

Mommy returns to her room for a long time, getting dressed in a morning haze.

Then Mommy makes another round of wake-up calls, this time taking breakfast requests. By now we are late, because Mommy is not a morning person (neither are they!).

Now that we're half an hour late, Mommy throws bread and/or Toaster Strudels in the toaster, then starts yelling that everyone better get up RIGHT NOW SERIOUSLY, WE'RE GONNA BE LATE!

If met with silence, Mommy yells again. This is apparently the funny part in the re-enactment with daddy. "GET UP, NOW! GET DRESSED! I'M SO LATE FOR WORK ALREADY, KAYA HAS CHOIR, YOU STILL HAVEN'T EATEN, ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS TAKE CARE OF YOURSELVES, IT'S NOT THAT HARD, I HAVE A MEETING!"

They stumble out to the kitchen, usually half dressed, and I send them back to finish dressing because the rule is no breakfast until you're ready. I am SO mean.

Then I either hand them their lunch bags (to sad faces) or tell them they need to buy school lunch that day (to joyous singing), and we get in the van.

The van conversation is either still-asleep silence, Kaya explaining the dream she had that night in E-X-C-R-U-C-I-A-T-I-N-G detail, or, if we're REALLY late, me continuing the screaming from the kitchen and explaining again why me keeping my job is critical to their being able to eat and own things, and that's why they need to get up faster in the morning. So Mommy doesn't get fired.

I think your routine sounds like a more pleasant way to start the day. You must be morning people!

Jamie said...

Correction Christi - CHUCK is the morning person, not both of us. My morning, going on at the same time, is as follows:

1. vaguely realize Chuck has gotten out of bed
2. overhear the hatar discussion
3. snooze
4. awake and change position
5. snooze
6. get a hug and try to appear a) awake and b) not feeling ill and c) not hating the day already
7. listen to Jack's version of You are my Sunshine
8. hear door close
9. snooze
10. realize I must get up or I will get fired

Christi and I seem to have similar feelings about mornings.

Lisa said...

Jack is such a cutie! I love picturing the You are My Sunshine part. What a great day-to-day thing to record to have as memories later on when perhaps Jack will be more like his Mama in the morning. Or maybe you wrote the post so Jamie knew what Jack did in the morning? ;)