Monday, March 31, 2008

Jack the Jock



We have some work to do on Jackson and his knowledge of sports and sports lingo, but I'd say we're off to a decent start.
First, a picture of the kid in a Billikins hat. I mean really, how cute is he?! He doesn't know what a Billikin is, but I don't either so that's okay. And yes, that's an adult hat and yes, it fits me too.

Second, yesterday I dragged his highchair into the bedroom and fed him his dinner while we both watched March Madness. I'm a good mom like that. Anyway, a Davidson guy (not Curry) made a HUGE 3 pointer and I yelled "OHHHH!" I guess Jack's used to me exclaiming like that when people get hurt or something because he asked if "him fall down." I said no, that he made a really big shot. Jack looked blankly at me. I said again, "he made a really big, really good shot!" Jack processed for a second and then asked if "him feel better now." Instead of using that opportunity to explain that shots can make people feel better and it was great that he wasn't afraid of them, but that I was talking about a different kind, I launched into an explanation of what a shot is in basketball and why that one in particular was so awesome. Teachable, praisable moment lost.

Third, opening day in baseball. I interrupted a lovely bedtime story to explain to Jack that Monday is Opening Day, where all the professionals play their first game of baseball for the whole season. I must have made it sound really cool because I got him to agree to wear a baseball shirt instead of the hatar shirt to school on Monday.

Once he was in his shirt, Dadda sent him to me so I could see how cute he was. He ran into the room, threw my covers off of me and asked if I was wearing "baseball pants." I don't know where that came from. Then he went into the kitchen for the customary picture-taking, which apparently needed some spicing up:


Here's to baseball, basketball, and our adorable son.

No comments: