Monday, May 9, 2011

Bull Riding 2011

We have a tradition with Uncle Ry Ry and Grandpa Mark where we all meet up in Des Moines, IA in May for Professional Bull Riding (PBR). The first year was a learning experience for us, wherein we learned that everything we thought we knew about bull riding (and the treatment of the bulls) was wrong. Now we've been several times and sort of feel like we know what's going on.

We drove down on Friday evening and checked into the hotel. The boys were a dream in the car. Traveling is getting easier as the boys get bigger. DVDs can be watched all the way through now, as opposed to the 20 minutes they used to last. We also had the aid of our new Family Marble Jar. Each of us earns a marble for exceedingly good behavior, or random acts of kindness, or any other time Chuck and I feel like it. Once the jar is filled, we'll get to go to the Water Park of America. More on that later, I'm sure.

The hotel presented a first for the boys - Ryker was NOT in a crib, and the boys would share the foldout couch. I threatened life and limb if they got up in the night. Ryker got up anyway - four times. Oh well. Saturday we got up, had breakfast with Ry Ry and Grandpa and then walked around the largest farmer's market I have ever seen. Then the boys headed off on a shopping trip. They arrived back at the hotel with brand new cowboy hats. They were THRILLED.

Jack could not have looked MORE like a cowboy. It was hilarious. Ryker doesn't really have the same build as a rider, but looked adorable anyway.



Dinner was at an amazing steakhouse, where we had a private room and were treated like celebrities. Ry Ry was the amazing uncle he always is, taking the boys for walks around the restaurant whenever they asked. At one point he had Jack curled around his torso, in what he calls a Koala Hug, and was holding Ryker's hand walking through this fancy place.

As a side note of endorsement, if you ever are in Des Moines, you have got to go there - 801. I had an amazing filet and the yummiest mac and cheese I've ever had, along with an amazing cabernet.

From there we went to the arena. We had seats in the 3rd row. It was awesome. Grandpa had earplugs for Ryker, because the introductions are LOUD:
Ryker was entirely confused for the duration of the event. He was a good sport though. Jack loved it. At one point he was sitting in his seat, holding his hat high above his head. I told him he should probably lower it so the people behind him could see past him. He goes "but I want everyone to SEE IT." So proud of his new hat. I was in heaven because I have a slight crush on the rodeo clown, Flint. Love him.

The kids were up way past their bedtime but were angels the whole time. We got them in bed as fast as we could. At 3:30am I awoke to Jack standing next to me, sobbing. He said he was running to tell me something and forgot our door was closed. He ran straight into it. As I'm talking to him, I heard a "blah!" sound from the other room. I asked Jack what he was coming to tell me, and he goes "oh, Ryker is throwing up."

We got Ryker cleaned up, housekeeping got us new sheets, and they were back in bed 15 minutes later. We got through the 4 hour drive without further incident, and have some good stories to tell.

Thanks to Grandpa and Uncle Ry Ry for an amazing trip!!

No comments: