Tuesday, December 28, 2010

What Do You Do...

...when you are home without your kids? You blog about them. Duh.

Chuck and I drove back home today, while the boys stayed in StL with my mom for a few days. It was a lovely drive back, made all the more lovely by the quiet of the interior of the car, and the dryness of the road.

It's nice and quiet in my living room right now too, except for the sound of the Vikings game. But it does feel weird to be here without the kids. So I'll blog it out.

My kids are adorable. Have I said that? Jack was positively AMAZING on the drive down to StL. He was patient and helped Ryker and listened to what we were saying. In StL he was a had his frustrating moments, but given the extreme schedule, he did well. He showed his adoration for Kaya and Buster and and Calen and Ian (his cousins) by following them around everywhere. They showed their maturity by letting him be their shadow. Every once in awhile he would crawl into the same seat with one of them and just grin from ear to ear. This morning he laid across me and cuddled. I LOVED it. My sweet boy. He's growing up so much. He can do so many things for himself, and help us out a lot. I forget that he's only five.

Ryker also showed his sweetness on the trip. On Christmas Day we were sitting around Gaga and Papa's house opening presents. We were all in a circle with the kids in the middle, and Ryker asked my mom about opening more presents. She quietly explained to him that it was the adults' turns now, because, for instance, Momma had not opened a present and SHE had not opened a present. He listened, then got up quietly and walked out of the circle. He returned with a present from under the tree and handed it to my mom. It wasn't for her, but still. That's pretty darn cute. He got such a reaction from all of us that he went back and proceeded to bring ALL of the rest of the presents out and distribute them equally amongst the (wrong) adults.

There were many other examples of his sweetness. If several people were sitting around, he would bring them all a toy to play with. When someone mentioned they were hungry, he would give them part of his snack. When Jack said he didn't want Ryker to bring certain toys to Gaga's, Ryker would set them aside and say "my no bring dat to Gaga's, no" as he shook his head. He's such a sweet, sensitive little guy.

I love my boys. And as much as I love the silence, I do miss them!

2 comments:

KellyM said...

And they miss you, too. Ryker hurt his finger in the doorway (into my bedroom) this afternoon - resulting in that soft, sort of pitiful sob. Jackson and I both kissed it, but it wasn't well. He kept saying "Momma"... and Jackson proceeded to tell him about every hurt he had when Momma wasn't there (his eyebrow, his black eye) and how he was okay until Momma did get there - and how Ryker will be seeing Momma Thursday - and then explaining at great length that Thursday is not tomorrow but that they would sleep tonight - and then play tomorrow and then sleep one more night and THEN it would be Thursday and THEN they would drive the long drive and THEN Ryker would see Momma! And then Jackson said, "It proly won't still hurt by then." (I could barely hear him because I was turned backwards laughing so hard I couldn't stand it!)

They ARE sooooo cute. But then I wouldn't have offered to keep them if I didn't think that! Love you!

Drew Jacob said...

I'm going to assume "Gaga and Papa" means Grandma & Grandpa. Because if it means you know Lady Gaga then I am hiding in the back of your car next holiday.