Sunday, December 26, 2010

Driving to St. Louis

I have done the drive to St. Louis many, many times over the last 14 years. I've driven alone, with my mom, with Chuck. We've driven when I was 8 weeks pregnant, and when I was 8 months pregnant. We've driven through heat and rain and snow, in the Chevy Lumina van, the Geo Prism, the Subaru, the Honda and the Mazda - and once, Chuck drove the Honda while I drove the van and we caravanned using walkie talkies to communicate. For the longest time I would cry every time we started the drive back to Minnesota, already missing my family. (For the record, and because they are all sitting in the room as I write this very post, I still miss them terribly when I leave. I just handle it better now.)

The drive down this time was an entirely different experience, and one I hope I never have to repeat. Chuck's new job doesn't given him any vacation days, so our plan was to drive down on Christmas Eve.

We woke bright and early and tried to coax the boys to eat first and second breakfast faster. By the time we loaded the car, got everyone in and stopped for coffee, it was 9:15. By 9:45 we had turned around for home - not wanting to be one of the dozen cars we saw in the ditch. I was devastated. Chuck spent an hour clearing the driveway of the newly fallen snow, and I alternated between road condition maps of MN, IA and MO.

At 12:30 we got antsy and started off again. Southern MN was fine. Iowa was not. There were no plows out, you couldn't really see the road, and it was decently icy. Also it smelled bad. We pulled into a town looking for dinner, and got nervous when we saw that the McDonalds was closed. I have never been so happy to see an Arby's be open. We ate and went potty, put a new movie on and switched drivers.

I was ready to take my turn at the wheel, thinking that it didn't look like Chuck had much trouble. On the road back to the highway I got my first taste of really awful fishtailing. I live in MN, so that's saying something. We twisted this way and that, Chuck yelled instructions at me, we sort of tilted up on two wheels, and finally came to a dead stop in the middle of the road. I made sure I wasn't having a heart attack, and we started back on our way. The children didn't even notice - not a word. Later, I put on the rear window wiper and Ryker whipped around, going "Who dere?!???" Good thing he's observant.

I have never gripped a wheel so hard in my life. I was hunched over, trying to keep our wheels in the treads of the car in front of me when I was lucky enough to be following someone. My eyes, hands, forearms and biceps hurt. By Missouri, it was better. My boys fell asleep, all of them, and I was left to my thoughts.

It had been a very stressful day, but I found myself completely calm and happy. The car was warm and silent except for the sleepy breathing of my favorite guys. I saw houses lit up in Christmas lights and knew that lots of people were with loved ones, smiling and laughing and recharging. And I knew that we'd soon be joining their ranks. I must love my family a lot, because I did not CARE how long it took us to get there, or how awful the journey was, I just wanted to be there with them.

We pulled into my mom's garage exactly 12 hours after we left (the second time). Within five minutes the kids were opening presents, commencing the spoiling for the week. I feel spoiled too - great family, non-stop eating, people playing with my kids, and a little blogging time to boot. Life is good.

No comments: