Sunday, December 12, 2010

Things We're Happy About

We just got through the most ridiculous weekend we've had in a long time. Tantrums, biting, whining, diminishing beer supply, broken internet connection. Oh, and 17.1" of snow - the 5th most in MN history - and blizzard conditions.

The bulk of the snow fell on Saturday. Minnesotans were advised not to go ANYWHERE under ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. So we were stuck in our house. It was really cold and windy too, so we didn't even go to our driveway. People all over Facebook and Twitter were announcing their wonderment at this scene, and their delight in getting to curl up and read books all day. Those people clearly don't have two young boys.

While Chuck attempted to dig us out of our driveway, I attempted to keep the children from killing each other, or me. I wanted to get casseroles in the oven for dinner, so I put on some Christmas music and set to work. Both kids sat up at the counter, Ryker demanding second lunch. They were both crabby, as was I. Ryker learned a new phrase, which he proudly exclaims all day long now - "Knock it off!"

To regain sanity, I decided we'd play a rousing game of "What Makes You Happy." We went around and took turns giving our answers.

Mom: "Ryker, what are YOU happy about?"
Ryker: "Mercris" (Merry Christmas)
Mom: "That's good. Jack?"
Jack: "I'm happy that we have a roof and a house in snow storms. And thunder storms."
M: "Me too. I'm happy that we have lots of good food to eat. Ryker?"
R: "Teets" (treats)
J: "I'm happy because I love Mom more than anything else in the world. And that makes me happy."
M: (wiping big happy tears away and waiting for him to ask me for something, like a new car or $100) "That is THE NICEST thing I have heard in a long time. I love you too. And THAT makes me happy."
J: "I'm also happy for tartar sauce."

Three hours later, my Ready-In-30-Minutes recipe was in the oven and we didn't kill each other after all. Merry Christmas.

No comments: