Wednesday, December 22, 2010

I love my kids

This post will serve a dual purpose. First, I will get to express my undying love for my offspring. And second, I will have something to look back on and read while driving to StL, as they will no doubt be screaming and yelling and hitting in the back seat. It will be a sort of safety net so I don't yell back. Like my own little Blog Happy Place & Mute Button.

My kids are at really cute ages right now. Jack is REALLY smart (proud momma) and can figure out all sorts of things, including when adults are speaking in code. He knows all of the dirt at his school because he listens to every word the teachers say. I was that way. He can have really good conversations about things with us. But mostly what I love about him right now is his love for Ryker. He truly adores that kid. And it's not like Ryk is a baby who isn't in his way - Ryker is actually pretty annoying to him. He follows him around and takes his things. Nonetheless, Jack will put everything aside to help Ryk. This morning Jack refused to get dressed, opting instead to stand with only underwear on so he could stay with Ryker in the bathroom as he tried to go potty. I asked Jack what he was doing and he said that Ryker might get scared if he left him, so he wanted to stay in there with him. Sweet boy. And on our way home from some outings tonight, Ryker undid his own seat belt. None of us could reach it and we were on the highway so I couldn't pull over. We were really close to our destination, so we just let it go. You should have HEARD Jack. He was so nervous the whole time. Kept asking us to fix it, and when we pulled into the parking lot at Burger King, instead of exclaiming his joy at the impending Play Place experience, he yelled that it was so good we were there because now we could buckle Ryker in!

Ryker himself is pretty darn cute. He is TALKATIVE. And expressive. We were out with some friends tonight at a not-so-kid-friendly bar. After awhile he came toward us through a crowd of people and had put his own coat on upside down and inside out. Subtle. In our haste to get everyone into the car and buckled up, I lost our keys. We knew they were there somewhere, but couldn't find them. We finally took Ryk out of his seat and found them under him. As we drove off, he goes "Cwazy Wykur, me has keys!" and just cracked up laughing. (For the record, none of us called him crazy.)

They both did an awesome job at the holiday program at their school. Jack got to be the flag bearer, which was thrilling for him. He sang and danced to all the songs. He looked so handsome and proud. And Ryker stole the toddler's portion of the show. He was hilarious. The kids were all lined up on the stage, and they all stood still and stared straight ahead, like a very long police line-up. All except Ryker, who stood in the middle of the crew and DANCED. He danced and danced his little heart out. My face hurt from smiling so hard at him. He was having such a good time! Pictures (although really bad) are on Flickr to the right.

No comments: