Saturday, April 3, 2010

Cards/Twins

You know what's a big deal up in Minnesota? Outdoor baseball. They've been without it for a long, long time - played in the climate controlled Metrodome for 20 or 30 years (I'm not a true Minnesotan because I don't know the exact number). But now they, or "we" rather, have outdoor baseball again, and people are SOOO excited. And rightfully so.

When it was announced that the first games in the park, albeit exhibition, would be against the Cardinals, I went a little bit nuts. I was raised a die-hard Cardinals fan, and I've taken quite a liking to the Twins since I've lived up here (13 years now!). I was determined to go. And my friend Clausman came through. Her parents gave us their tickets, so she and I got to sit in the very nice Legends Club off the third base line. But then my mom got in on the action too, and ordered 3 more tickets - for Chuck, Jackson and her. THEY got to sit in the lower deck, behind home plate up by the concourse. Not bad!

I carefully considered our outfits. Jack got his first Twins hat to wear with the Cards t-shirt he already had. I got my first Twins jersey (a Mauer one), and a new Cardinals hat to balance it out. Chuck decided to stay true to his roots and ONLY wear Twins gear, and threw in a Carleton shirt to keep all allegiances clear.
My mom bought me a Cards pullover, similar to the one she was going to wear, and it ended up being chilly, so I was wearing that OVER my Mauer jersey and I got a decent amount of crap about that up in C and my seats.

Anyway, the game was PERFECT! I'm kind of annoying right now because I won't shut up about how great it was. Perfect weather, awesome company, great ballpark. And having two teams that you like playing each other makes it so you get to cheer for pretty much everything that happens in the game. It was fantastic. Jack had a great time, too. And why not? He got to have a hotdog AND ice cream. AND Grandmommy playing games with him on her cell phone to keep him entertained!
More pictures are on Flickr - link to the right. Check them out.

2 comments:

Bethk said...

what happened in the game? I love how much thought went into the outfits. We are going to have similar Yankees/Cardinals issues someday so I can understand!!

KellyM said...

Beth - I'll step in here to comment that when you hit the Yankees/Cardinals issues there IS no issue. When it's Yankees versus "anyone" the choice is ALWAYS "anyone" - Cardinals or anyone else!!!!

And the Twins one Saturday while we were there - but the Cardinals had won on the real opening - Friday night. And there were tons of people there in Cardinal shirts! It was great!

And poor Chuck - trying his best to NOT be surrounded by Cardinal "stuff" - totally was! So it didn't matter that HE didn't have any Cardinal identification on - we had him covered - literally!