Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Grass Wars

Easter grass has a sordid history in my family. My mom would get in the spirit of Easter and fill our Easter baskets with that weird plastic grass stuff. It looked really festive and cute and seemed like the right thing to do. But inevitably, strands of that grass would end up in random corners of our house. You would find it in your shoe the next fall, or a kitchen cabinet in the winter. It got to be a joke in our family. She used to complain about it - all "I hate the Easter grass!" and "HOW does that stuff end up EVERYWHERE?!" But if memory serves me right, my mom KEPT BUYING IT. So in my book, she started the war.

My freshman year in college I decided to really get her. I bought a big pack of it, stuffed an envelope full, with nothing else in it, and mailed it to her. Ha ha.

Point for me.

This year, she came up to Minnesota for Easter and, of course, brought with her two big bags of that crap...er...stuff. She filled plastic pails for the kids with it. My kids don't have the manual dexterity to retrieve candy from the pail without subsequently dumping blades (do you even call it that when it's plastic?) of the grass everywhere.

Point for my mom.

My mom was driving back to St. Louis on Monday. That morning, before he left for work, Chuck put a bundle of it under her front windshield wiper. He wrote me at work and told me what he did, and that he was hoping she wouldn't have noticed until she maybe had to use her wipers on the drive home. Ha ha.

Point for Chuck, and me by association.

Only my mom DID notice before she left. And she removed the bundle from her wipers and put it in our mailbox.

Point for my mom.

Today, I came out from my shower to find kitty-throw-up, complete with Easter grass remnants.

Game, set, match for my mom.

1 comment:

KellyM said...

LOL...when WILL you learn? Mom's ALWAYS win!! I mean really. You are one. I would think you would have learned that by now!

Did the mailman take the grass out of your mailbox?...or was it (hopefully) tangled all around your mail?