Sunday, February 7, 2010

Butterfly Effect

I think a lot about the butterfly effect. "What If" is one of my favorite games. I love reflecting on the little things that have come together to make me who I am today. And it's really a chain effect - so it's sort of a fun walk down memory lane.

My life would be the MOST different if I hadn't met Chuck. To not have met Chuck I would have to not have been, ummm, dancing where I was dancing at that party. And I wouldn't have been there if I hadn't played basketball and been there with my teammates. And I wouldn't have played basketball in college (I believe) if I hadn't been mentored by Gary in St. Louis. And that's where I stop that version of the game because I can't actually remember how or when I met him.

OR

I wouldn't have met Chuck if I hadn't gone to Carleton. And I wouldn't have gone to Carleton if someone in that financial aid office hadn't decided to help me out. And I wouldn't have even applied to Carleton, and had that aid officer make that choice, if I hadn't met Madeline. And I wouldn't have met Madeline if I hadn't gone to Strength and Speed Camp (at least I got SOMETHING out of that - because Lord knows it didn't make me strong or fast!).

I think I'm thinking about this because Chuck and I were reflecting back to when we both applied for grad school. Our master plan when I was a senior was to both apply for masters degree programs at the same couple of schools. We applied and were really bummed when we didn't get into the same ones. But we made the choice to stay here and have Chuck go to the U. If we hadn't made that choice, I would have ended up with a Masters in Education. And that would have been a mistake because, as I figured out WITHOUT going through a program, it turns out that I do NOT want to be a teacher. And then I wouldn't have ended up working at the museum, and learning as much as I've learned there.

I love playing this game. I love it because it reminds me to be open to experiences that come my way, because you never know how important a role that might play in my future.

No comments: