Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Boredom

I used to have this problem when I was a kid. I would get SOOOO bored. And even if my friends were over, we'd get SOOOOO bored together. My mom used to always tell my best friend Vicki and I to go to the art museum and we'd scoff at her. Sort of ironic that I now go to an art museum every day, don't you think. Karma?

Anyway, I was driving home the other day sans kids and I got stopped at a red light that is notoriously long. And I used to get stopped there and get SOOOO bored. Sitting a whole of 90 seconds was just too much for me. But this time I immediately reached for my iPhone and started reading Tweets. (Did the Olds all get confused just now?) I was excited to be sitting at the light because I knew I had time to get caught up on my "reading." And as I was reading I was thinking that my phone should really be given a name, because it is my friend now. (I'm taking suggestions....)

And then a thought popped in to my head.

"I will never be bored again."

My rationale is was between kids, husband, boyfriend (kidding! sheesh) friends, family, work, sports, and now MY PHONE - complete with Twitter, Facebook, this blog, other people's blogs, Scramble and the NYT Crossword puzzle - I will never have another time where I'm searching for something to do or think about.

To be honest, I was a little weirded out by that spontaneous thought. Isn't it okay to have down-time? Can my down-time include all of my social networking and technology obsessions? It's relaxing to me, so doesn't that count? But does every second of my day need to have an activity assigned to it? It's the complete opposite of meditation (which I'm really interested in) - isn't it?

Thoughts?

1 comment:

the fabulous Nikki B said...

I see absolutely no problem with that. Well, I don't really recommend the whole using the phone while driving (even if it is just at a stop light) but other than that, I say do what makes you happy. The thing that popped into my mind when reading this post though was another post you wrote about "being present." Maybe those 90 seconds that you are stopped at that light is a good time to just stop and look at your life and be happy and thankful for what you have.

Sorry, I just finished watching the Secret Life of Bees and I'm in a sappy mood.