Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Reactive Baby

Ryker's at it again. That boy is determined to make every hair on my head go gray.

Last night we found two bug bites on the inside of his thigh. They were red and raised and then had a ring of red around them, with another ring of lighter red around those. I brought in the children's benadryl and he FREAKED OUT. My mom put that on some bug bites of his awhile back and he cried and cried. I didn't think that stuff was supposed to hurt. Apparently I'm wrong. He let us put the gel on the bites but cried for awhile and insisted on holding a washcloth. (???)

I scoured the internet after he went to bed to figure out what it could be, and Lyme disease came up as the most likely culprit. This time *I* freaked out.

At 7:59am I called the doctor to schedule an appointment. Chuck took him in. The doctor said that Lyme's is a possibility, but it's also possible that he has a skin infection of some sort. She can treat both with antibiotics, so that's what we're doing. The problem is that Ryker, we think, is allergic to the 'cillins and also cephalosporins. Those are the two major categories of drugs they use to treat these types of things. So now he has to take two different anti-biotics, one of which makes their tummies hurt.

Between bug bites, thunderstorms, tummy aches and fireworks, I don't think Ryker, or I, will get a good night's sleep for awhile. Poor monkey.

1 comment:

KellyM said...

Oh no! And his tummy was ALREADY hurting! Poor Ryker!