Saturday, July 16, 2011

Museum Mom

Jack had his first art class at the museum this past week. It was centered around crickets. He had a blast. The class is 1-4pm for a week. He got to leave school at lunchtime and come up to my museum. After his class he would wander around with me, meet my coworkers, and do other art projects in my office.

He made new friends - most notably Ross, who is the head of security for the museum. He LOVED Ross, and was fascinated by the fact that everyone in the whole museum had to follow the rules that Ross set for us. He also got to play with old friends. He loves Emily and wanted to hang with her a lot. He also loves Jill, who offices right next to me. That provided endless entertainment, as he could draw pictures and sneak into her office to drop them off, then run away, giggling, to hide somewhere.

Yesterday he had his art show, which is the culmination of his week. Parents are invited to be there. I took some liberties with that invite, and let Jack open up the guest list a bit. When it was time for the guests to go in the room and stand behind their artist, Jack's corner was crammed with me, Chuck, Emily, Lori, Jill and Mike. Mary stopped in too. Benefits of having a mom who works at the museum.

Have I said recently how lucky I am to work there? It has it's stressful moments, sure, but on the whole I love it. It's endlessly challenging, I learn every day, and I get to be around beautiful art and the people who appreciate it. And now I get to share that with my kids too.

No comments: