Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Man-Sick

Some of you may be familiar with the term man-sick. It's not a nice term - generally used to make fun of how guys handle illness and injury worse than women do. Chuck knows that I'm a firm believer in man-sickness and it irks me. I know I'm offending many a man - if any read this blog - but hopefully my girls will defend me.

Anyhow, I have 3 men now at home and each has his own version of man-sickness right now, detailed below.

Chuck: Chuck had to stay home today because he had a stomach bug. He legitimately did. But he does handle it with many a moan, curling up into a small ball and telling me that he'll help watch Jack (who had to come home from school because of a stomach bug - more on that below) so I could work from home, while at the same time pulling the covers over his head further and further until I could only see the tops of his ears.

Jackson: Part of the reason for the video posted below is that Jack is sick. Or not. Well, maybe. He was on the potty at daycare 4 times in 2 hours, each time whimpering that he wanted his mommy. So I went to get him and spent the whole car ride home trying to get a three and a half year old to describe his symptoms to me. It didn't go well. Finally I asked him if he was hungry and he said yes. Point. I asked him what he thought he might want to eat for lunch. He answered "brownies." Point. So he's fine, right? But then he was crying and whining all night - hence the video. But at the end of the video, although it's hard to hear over the crying, he asks for a broccoli cookie. What the heck?

Ryker: Ryker is the happiest of the man-sick bunch. Seems fine. However, three times in the last week I have been on the receiving end of what I promise is the most forceful *PLEASE STOP READING HERE IF YOU ARE SQUEAMISH* projectile vomiting any infant has ever done in the history of time. How does he respond to this "sickness"? By beaming at you as you scream hysterically, trying not to return the favor all over him. No fever, still hungry, sleeping fine. Happy happy man-sick little wookiee.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are so familiar with the Man Cold at our house. And we dread it. Glad it happens in other homes, too.