Friday, October 31, 2008

Rallies with Children

Last night Chuck and I proved our loyalty to the Democratic party and the candidates on the ballot this year. We packed up the kids and headed to the Minneapolis Convention Center for a rally featuring Bill Clinton.

I'm quite sure we had the youngest little Democrat there in Ryker, and Jack didn't have many playmates either. They were both the HIT of the night as we wandered through the crowds. I had Ryker in a front-pack, facing out, with a bib draped over the front that says "Yes We Can". Jack was in his Team Obama shirt.

And here is why I love rallies - we met a woman and her 19 year old daughter in the stairwell of the parking ramp on our way in. They got in line much faster than we did, and as we were marching down the line trying to find the end of it, they pretended that they were holding spots for us and let us cut in front of them. They were SO nice. We spent the whole night with them. The daughter played games with Jack to keep him busy and both of them took turns holding Ryker. They were great. They knew one of the photographers too so we think we're going to get some cool pictures.

It was an inspiring night and gave me chills to hear Walter Mondale, Al Franken, Amy Klobuchar, Keith Ellison and Bill Clinton speaking about my children's future. Having them there with us was amazing, not for them really, but for Chuck and me. I kept thinking about rallies I had been to as a kid that I have never forgotten, and about the Wellstone Memorial 6 years ago.

We just kept telling Jack that it was a very special treat - right up there with Popsicles and getting to watch TV while eating dinner - to get to be in the same room with these people. We kept telling him how these were very smart and very good people and that not every little boy gets to hear these people talk to them. And while he was disappointed that Barack Obama wasn't there, and also disappointed to find out that Mayor R.T. Rybak was NOT the president, I think he had a decent time.

I hope we have helped Jack understand the importance of the political process, of being aware of what's going on. I hope we have let him know that it's okay to be passionate about something and to put yourself out there. And I look forward to telling him on Wednesday morning that our country made a good, and very brave, choice.

1 comment:

Coolest people ever said...

That's awesome! I would love to see Bill Clinton and Amy Klobuchar speak ... that sounds like an amazing rally.

I took Calen to see Barack in Columbia last night. (My two are in NY with Jay.) Check my blog later for an update and pics!