Monday, November 28, 2011

Thanksgiving

Geez - I haven't updated in weeks. Oops.

First, a brief update of my back situation...

I've started rehab. Diagnosis is early degeneration (aka degenerative disc disease) in my L5-S1 disc (which looks like it's not even there on xrays), herniation in that disc and/or the L4-L5 or BOTH, and a pinched sciatic nerve. The herniation is hard to determine without an MRI, which none of my doctors want to do if we don't have to. But the spine doctor's evaluation of me shows a bit of both.

I have a new home - the rehab clinic. I'll be referring to it by its acronym, PDR. I had a one and a half hour doctor's evaluation. Then I had an hour evaluation with the occupational therapist (OT) and a couple days later an hour eval with the physical therapist (PT). I'll see the OT and PT on a rotating basis - two appointments a week - for awhile, and after 8 appointments I see the doc again. They all work together in the clinic and I LOVE it there. Great people, and spine and neck disorders are all they deal with. They keep telling me it'll be a long road, but I like a good challenge. =)

All of that aside, I was determined to go meet my newest (sort of) nephew, Oskar. It's our year to have Thanksgiving in StL, so we packed up and headed down there. I don't know if it was the fact that we had a baby in the house to play with, or that we had an entire week down there, or that our kids are a bit older and easier to manage, but this was a WONDERFUL trip. We had a blast. I got to see several of my friends, and to spend time with my family.

Oskar is ADORABLE. Just adorable. I loved getting to hold him and play with him and have my kids fawn all over him. Ryker was particularly enamored - wanting to hold him and kiss him every second. He dubbed him "Baby Oster". Kaya and Buster had to deal with the ever-present shadow called Jack. He LOVES them. Buster took his newfound role-model status very seriously and spent a good part of one dinner trying to convince Jack of the health benefits of salad. Kaya, being the oldest of the cousins, spent her time teaching us all about Columbia Slang and getting me addicted to new iPhone apps.

Being in the house with Charlie and BJ is like being in my second home (third, really, after my mom's, but that doesn't have the same ring). And getting to spend time with Christi and Beth is always amazing - they are my sisters is every way except the technicality of having the same mom and dad. Love you guys. Nik, of course, fits right in. We played many games of Bananagrams, my new favorite, and learned that Nik and Christi can make entire boards out of one theme.

And then there's my mom. I'm so, so, so thankful for her. She has always been an amazing mom, and now I get to watch her be an amazing "grandmommy" too. Love you Mommy!

It was a great trip. The return drive was less fun, but we're home. I love being in StL, but I also love my home up here. And now it's time to get back to work!

1 comment:

Bethk said...

Baby Oster is lucky to have such an awesome family! Someday before I know it he will be running with scissors and hole punches like the big boys. So, I'm so thankful you were able to make it down to the Lou and see him while he is still a little bitty. He loooooves you. :)

xoxo