Thursday, October 28, 2010

Mawwaige

I was driving Jack back up to Target the other night, for a last minute Halloween costume emergency. (Chuck accidentally bought him a size 12-14, so it looked like Batman's son was trying on Daddy's uniform.)

As we were driving, he asked me when he would get married. I said that people get married at all different ages, and some choose never to get married. It just depends. He said that he really WANTS to get married. I said okay, that then it would depend on when he found the person he wanted to spend the rest of his life with. He goes "well, I want to marry Logan, but he doesn't want to be married to me. And boys don't marry boys." I said "well, sure they can" and teetered on the verge of explaining the state by state difference in this fact. I decided against it.

"I really want to get married. At school I asked 'Who wants to marry me?' but NO ONE said anything!"

I said that some kids just haven't thought about marriage yet, but that once they did, I was sure someone would say yes to him.

Jack: "Well, I really want to marry Logan and Rico and Payten. Why can't I marry all of them?"

Me: "Well, in some cultures that is ok with everyone. People can share their lives with more than one person. In our culture we say that a person can only be married to one other person at the same time."

The conversation fell apart after that. Jack swore I said "sculptures" instead of "cultures." Also, explaining polygamy versus monogamy and why gay marriage isn't legal is really really hard when you're talking to a five year old.

4 comments:

Amy said...

James this made laugh. OMG, can totally see myself having this conversation in 2 years (except hopefully we will be closer to GLBT equality by then!)

Nicki said...

HAHAHHAHAHAHAH I'M STILL LAUGHING! HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAH SOOOOOOOOOOOO SOOOO FUNNY!!!! I love it!

Drew Jacob said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Drew Jacob said...

Jamie, this just became my favourite blog. That is just awesome. Thank you for raising your kids right and also making me die laughing on a daily basis.