Monday, June 1, 2009

Daycare Hilarity

Well, we've made our decision. The kids will be going to Richfield Montessori. We're excited about it, but sad to leave Chrysalis.

One unexpected benefit to doing this search was that it provided us with many laughs. "Hilarity" was probably too strong of a term, but I needed a title for the post and "Daycare Sort of Funnies" didn't have the same ring.

I won't name names here, for fear one of our readers sends their kids to the daycare I'm about to rip on. Here is the Top Six (I tried for ten but didn't quite make it) List of Things We Heard/Saw and/or Were Told in Our Daycare Tours:

6) (After being asked what their curriculum is for toddlers) "Curriculum?! For TODDLERS?!"
5) "Oh, and if you pick OUR school, we'd work right away to get him to stop sucking his thumb." (This was after only 20 minutes with our family and zero questions about why or when Jack does it.)
4) (Told to our friend, referring to traceable sandpaper letters) "I forget what that does, but it helps them."
3) (At a Montessori school, when asked if they do strict Montessori or a hybrid version) "Oh no, Montessori doesn't really work anymore."
2) "We have to lock up the swings and other playground stuff every night because people come and vandalize them."

And my personal favorite:

1)"We teach our kids to read by 11 months." (This from a place that has a misspelling in their daycare's name.)

1 comment:

Coolest people ever said...

Those are hilarious! My favorite from our daycare years was when Kaya went to the on-campus daycare for MU students with kids, and after a few months the lead teacher dramatically pulled me aside and said she thought Kaya was autistic. Kaya. Autistic.

I was like, no, she's just smarter than all of you combined.

BTW - Joshua went to Montessori preschool and we LOVED it. I hope your new school works out!