Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Time Off for Good Behavior

Camp Grandmommy - the Winter Edition. Chuck and I left the kids with her in StL last Thursday and headed back up to Minnesota. We bought (well, leased) a car, cleaned the bathrooms and kitchen and living room and entryway, scanned hundreds of our documents into the computer and then shredded the paper-trail, folded loads of laundry, slept a lot, saw movies (the Hobbit for Chuck and Les Mis for me), hung out with friends, and had a Harry Potter movie-marathon.

The bulk of my time, though, was spent in the kids' bedrooms.

TERRIBLE.

I had this stance for awhile that they are big enough to clean their own rooms and that if I helped them, it was doing them a disservice. The last 48 hours, I've paid dearly for that decision.

The upside to filling three bags of trash and two bags of recycling is that you get another view of your kids. For instance, Ryker really, really loves his brother - he saves tiny pieces of paper that Jack gives him. He also is a hoarder of cups, writing implements, and Chapstick. Jackson likes to roll up a bunch of pieces of paper and then tape them together, and he is sentimental. He has kept all kinds of work from the last two years of schooling, awards, positive notes home from teachers, stories he's written and things he and I have drawn. I'd say that he only has them because he doesn't throw ANYTHING away, but they were in remarkably pristine condition, and sometimes stapled together into collections.


The kids return tomorrow. We'll have to stop watching movies so loudly, the new car will be introduced to Fruit Snacks and kid-sized footprints, the dust bunnies will roll once more. But I want to hug my babies, so I'll allow it. =)

1 comment:

KellyM said...

I've loved having them here - again! We do have our moments, but then I snap out of it and behave myself. We've had parties in the lobby, been several fun places, and played lots of games. They can't wait to see you, too!