Saturday, March 31, 2012

Ambidextrous and The Nightmare

Two stories.

First story - Ryker and his Ambidextrousness:

Ryker and I were playing catch in the living room, which went remarkably well. (I should stop right there and devote a whole post to the fact that no damage came to the house, no humans or animals were hurt in the process, and no one ended up crying or screaming. But then the title of the post wouldn't make any sense.)

Anyway, he was throwing with his right hand, which surprised me because we have dubbed him a leftie. I asked him which hand he writes with. He thought about it, then held up his left and said "wif pens and pencils." I looked at him with confusion and he added "wif crayons, dis one" and held up his right. I asked which hand he eats with and he held up his left. Which hand he throws with? Right. Which foot he kicks with? Left. "Unwess da ball come on dis side (pointing right). Den it's dis one (right leg kicks out)." So...we'll see. He's going to be confusing to defend in basketball.

Second story - Jack and The Nightmare:

Jack came out the other night after being in bed for maybe 10 minutes. He wanted hugs. Then he went back to bed for another 3 minutes and came back out. "I had a nightmare." I tried to explain that he wasn't even asleep and therefore couldn't possibly have had a nightmare. He was on the verge of tears so I skipped the semantics. He said he didn't want to tell us why he had a nightmare. We prodded. "We watched a movie at Nicki's (where he goes every day after school) and it made me scared." We prodded. He resisted. We prodded more.

"I think it was about........Justin Bieber."

It was all we could do to not die laughing at him. We did a lot of rubbing our faces to hide the grins, and coughing to mask the giggles.

Finally I just lost it. Cracked up. Chuck followed. Then we tried to explain to Jack why Justin Bieber is about the least scary thing you could possibly dream about. He said he thought that it was something in the movie that was dark and someone was in the movie and he couldn't really see him because he was dark and hooded.

We got him back in bed and I spent parts of the next day hypothesizing with coworkers about what could have been scary in a Justin Bieber movie. Backup dancers? Some plot about him saving some girl from a bad guy?

The day after that I wrote to Nicki and asked her if the kids watched a Justin Bieber movie. She wrote back that this wins some sort of funniest story contest. Jack apparently told Nicki that he had a nightmare before he fell asleep, about Justin Bieber. She had to correct him, because the kids hadn't watched Justin Bieber, they had watched Harry Potter.

HAHAHAHAHA! Awesome.

No comments: