Sunday, December 11, 2011

Christmas Lists and Default Answers

I decided to have the kids dictate to me what they wanted on their Christmas lists this year. Generally we just come up with ideas on our own, but I thought they were old enough now to tell me what they want. I was also pretty sure it would make for a good blog post. I was right, at least for Ryker.

The conversation went just like this (I was typing as we were talking):

Momma: Ryker, what do you want for Christmas? We'll make a list for Santa and Grandmommy and Gaga and Papa and everyone.

Ryker: a phone (he means an iPhone)...silence...A toy. A pian-yo. A kitten.

Daddy: Ryker, do you mean you want your kitty-piano back? (We put it in toy jail because of his behavior.)

R: nods...silence...a Cwismas twee (staring at OUR Christmas tree) Dat's it. What do YOU want?

M: Well that's very sweet of you to ask, but we're making YOUR list right now. Can you think of anything else? Anything more specific?

R: Whatever dey got.

M: You get to say what you want Ryker. Like if someone went to a store, what would you want them to pick out for you?

R: Whatever dey got. A ball. Dat's it. Now yet's get da sweet. (he means the broom - "sweep")

Also, a random Ryker story for your amusement. Or mine, mostly.

We were in the car and I was trying to get him to say the words "ping pong." Earlier, we were in the basement and he was trying to get me to play that and he called it "ting tong" so I wanted him to say it for Chuck.

I said "Ryker, what's that game in the basement with the paddles that you wanted to play this morning?"

He paused, confused, and then goes "fsh". A few of my readers will understand that that is the answer to one of my favorite jokes:

Q: "What do you call a fish with no eyes?"
A: "Fsh"

Okay, that's hard to write because it's a play on words. Or on letters. I'm gonna stop explaining it now and hope you all just understand.

Anyway, I asked again, in another way. It was like playing Taboo or something. He patiently waited for me to rephrase, then paused again and said "fsh." I think it's hilarious that his default answer is fsh. Good boy.

Jack's default expression of disgust is "barnacles."

What's wrong with my children? And are they going to get beat up on the playground?

No comments: