Sunday, February 6, 2011

Big Work Week and My Kids

I sometimes feel guilty for working as much as I do. I think most working moms feel the same. But looking back on one of my biggest work weeks of the year, I think the kids will be just fine. I now envision them seeing big work weeks on the calendar and brimming with excitement. First of all, I was so tired through the week leading up to my big fundraising gala that I fed the kids a bunch of crap all week for dinner. They, of course, loved this. They had toaster waffles one night, mac n cheese two nights, and I took them to IHOP another night. That's my kids' dream epicurean line-up.

Saturday I had to get all spiffied up for my event. ("Spiffying," in my world, means I showered and shaved, combed my hair and painted my toenails. That's about it. I turned the rest over to Magic Neighbor Nicki, who fixed my hair so it would behave all night.) Chuck took the kids on errands so I could do all of that in peace. They got to run around with him, then got to go to a movie.

Today I needed to sleep, having arrived home at the unholy hour of 3am. I got up at 10:30, played with the kids and helped Chuck get them ready, and went back to bed until 2:30. They went to the zoo. I'll tell you how it went in the voice of Ryker, because it's much cuter that way.

Ryker: "Mommy, we went to the goom (zoo)! We see da monkeys! Monkeys and zeebas and poe bae-z (polar bears). We went goom Momma!" Chuck got amazing pictures, which I don't have on this computer but I'll put up later.

I also anticipated that I wouldn't want to cook tonight, so I pre-ordered a huge meal from Brasa, one of my favorite restaurants. Jack wasn't really feeling well, but Ryker got to enjoy cheesy grits and pulled pork. Yum.

So I don't think the kids are too scarred by my work week. Jack actually seemed to be thoroughly enamored with the concept of event fundraising, and wanted to talk about its finer points all week. For the record, he gets it more than most adults I know.

Plus they got EXTRA loving from me tonight because I missed them. Their cheeks are probably chapped from all the kisses.

1 comment:

KellyM said...

I'm sure they're glad to have you back. LOL...I'm sure Chuck is glad, too! Still can't wait to see pictures of the BIG EVENT. Miss you all.