Saturday, November 13, 2010

Lemons Into Lemonade

I've done this before on this blog - turning my frown upside down and whatnot - but it is a nice little exercise when I'm feeling frustrated. I'm very, very lucky, and it never hurts to remind myself of that so I don't ever take it for granted.

Here goes.

Chuck still doesn't have a job. He got turned down for two promising ones this week. But he still has 5 that he's in the running for. Five job possibilities. Hundreds of people have applied for each of those positions, but Chuck was one of the handful of resumes each of those lovely, smart, wonderful hiring managers plucked out of the pile to interview.

Jack got sick again last night. Poor guy. I brought him home with Ryker, missing what we were supposed to be doing. Our foiled Friday night plans? Serving dinner at a homeless shelter. We are operating on one non-profit salary right now, and have been for five months, but we still have enough money to make food for other people to eat - people going through amazingly rough times right now who are so grateful for each and every meal.

Chuck went over to help out while I drove one of our two cars to our beautiful home. We went inside, ate dinner, got into comfy pajamas, read some of the multitude of books we own, gave Jack some medicine that we're lucky enough to have stock-piled, and I tucked them into their warm beds with their stuffed animals and blankets. I took out my brand new MacBook, cracked a beer (which we are also lucky enough to have stock-piled) and got to chat with a few friends.

During the night, Jack got sick all over his bed. We have more than one set of sheets, more than one blanket, more than one pillow, so I was able to get him back asleep - comfy and cozy - in no time.

The snow began to fall through the night. It is beautiful, and we're lucky enough to have an attached garage so we don't even have to step into the snow when we leave the house. Jack still feels awful, and wants to do nothing more than lay around dozing in and out of sleep. We have enough movies to keep him occupied when he IS conscious.

The snowstorm knocked out our power mid-afternoon. It came back fairly quickly, but even if it had stayed off, we have plenty of food in our pantry, plenty of candles in our house, an abundance of flashlights, and an awesome fireplace with wood that's already chopped. We would have been all set.

Chuck went out to clear the driveway with the snowblower that we are lucky enough to own. It was broken. But we have computers that helped Chuck diagnose the problem, which was a cracked something-or-other bolt. I'm lucky enough to have a smart, handy husband who happens to have a large assortment strange tools and other things, and he was lucky enough to have the exact bolt that broke. So he replaced it, and he's off and running down the driveway with the newly restored snowblower.

So really, life's good. Very very good. Jack will get better, Chuck will get a job, the snow will melt (by April), and life will continue to show me that things aren't nearly as bad as my Twitter feed might imply.

3 comments:

KellyM said...

One of my most favorite sayings - changed a bit from the traditional one that usually just includes the first sentence is "When one door closes, another one opens. But it's hell in the hallways."

For a long time I thought I was living my life in the hallways. But then another door did indeed open. I sometimes find another hallway - but then there's always another door.

And as you have said, it will be that way for you - for Chuck's job - for the stress you're under at work - for Jackson being sick - for Ryker being two (smile) - and even for Minnesota just beginning winter!

Love you!
Mommy

Amy said...

Hang in there James! And your moms saying is brilliant.

Here if you need to vent/talk/etc. (or eat - I was in a baking frenzy this weekend and made brownies, bread, cinnamon roles and granola.)

Bethk said...

Linda, I love the hell in the hallways part. I've heard "one door opens" saying but never the part about the hallway. So true. Jamie, I hear you about adding perspective. I do that a lot too, usually when Im down about my job, I have to remember all the reasons why its such a GOOD thing. :)

Love to the Banjostrands!