Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Gym

Those of you who follow my tweets and/or Facebook posts will have heard most of my gushing about the gym. But hey, if you are following my tweets, FB posts AND blog then I consider you either a stalker or my bestest friend, and either way, you have obviously demonstrated a tolerance for my ramblings.

But first, can someone please explain to me why it took me 31 years to figure out that vanilla yogurt and granola bars are CRAZY GOOD together?!

Okay, back to the gym.

I used to spend all of my time in gyms or fields of some sort. But when I got pregnant with Jack I just couldn't figure out how to swing the timing of it, so I gave up my membership and Chuck kept his. It's stayed that way despite Chuck's efforts to get me to sign up again.

Until last week. He finally convinced me. I signed up during one of their incentive periods so it'll be really cheap.

I went Thursday for my first time. I did the elliptical for 20 minutes, at which point I couldn't handle the taunting of the brand-new basketball court any longer. I went in there and shot around for an hour. It was FANTASTIC. Nothing like it. I was running up and down the court like a little kid. Then I sat in the hot tub like an old adult.

I didn't go on Friday, mostly because I was hungover from a wedding on Thursday night.

But I went Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

I LOVE THE GYM. It really is awesome. There is something very addicting about working out so hard that you are dripping sweat. It feels good. I've missed that feeling.

Today I couldn't figure out how to get over there. I do NOT get up in the morning. I just don't. I hate mornings. And I don't like getting ready for work at the gym. That eliminates lunch as well. I went to pick up the kids and tried to take them to the gym, but was politely informed by Jack that they can't go without snacks. Van Nostrand rule, I suppose, because it's certainly not the gym's rule. And since I was sans snacks, I headed home. We went to the park to play but after we put them in bed I decided I'd go to the gym anyway. Chuck really wanted me to try to go later in the evening because it's "so relaxing."

So I went. My back is hurting today (how old am I?) so I decided to swim. I got in the water and realized I didn't have my goggles. But I'm stubborn, so I swam anyway. After awhile my eyes really hurt, and I know that when they do that, they are bright red and I look exactly like a cocaine addict. Or something. So I decided to sprint in the pool. That kicks your *ss so I figured that was a good alternative. And I got tired fast, but was stubborn some more so I made myself sprint without a break for 30 minutes. My feet HURT about halfway through but that just made me more mad so I kept going. When I got out I figured out why my feet hurt. It's because I had ripped a hole in my toe. Blood and all.

And that meant that I couldn't go in the hot tub or the sauna. So I went to shower instead, where I noticed I brought shampoo and lotion instead of conditioner.

I got home and Chuck asked if I was relaxed and I hobbled over and looked at him with my junkie-eyes and told him NO. And then we watched random Italian Scrappers yell at each other on TV. Tomorrow's a new day.

No comments: