Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Captain's Log - 11/25/08

12:00am - I'm up and feeding Ryker.
2:15am - Ditto.
4:30am - Ditto.
6:30am - Ditto.
7:30am - Jackson is cranky. Keeps telling us that maybe he's cranky because he's tired. Yeah, us too buddy.
8:00am - Chuck transporting kids to daycare. I'm buying bagels for a colleague's birthday.
9:00am - Eating bagels and drinking coffee at work. Feeling good.
10:50am - Jackson is at park with daycare, sits on scoop equipment, pulls handle up and handle hits Jackson in the left eyebrow. Jack screams, tells Miss Kay he's tired. Miss Kay thinks "head injury + blood + tired = carry 45 pound Jackson 5 blocks back to daycare." [Miss Kay earns big brownie points from Banjostrands for taking such good care of our big dude.]
11:00am - Call from Chuck saying "someone" needs to go pick Jackson up from daycare. "Someone" = me.
11:15am - I arrive at daycare to see Jack's eyebrow caked with blood - want to yell "Dear God!" and run the other direction. [Full disclosure - my first of six concussions was result of sight of lots of blood.]
11:15.5am - Realize I'm the Mommy and can't run. Ever. Give Jack a hug so as to avert my eyes.
11:20-11:45am - Sit in van in daycare parking lot on hold with doctor's office. Leave a message with triage nurse, who promises they'll call me back. Drive slowly home.
12:00-2:00pm - Keep Jack awake and playing, talking, eating, running around while watching for signs of concussion. None noted, but eyebrow is still nasty.
2:00pm - Finally let Jack take a nap. I work from home.
4:00pm - Doc office calls - talk to nurse who promises to talk to doc and call me back.
5:45pm - Nurse calls back and says to take him to Children's Hospital if we want. We've been trying to think of excuses to head over there, so this is perfect!
6:00pm - Ryker defies laws of gravity and vomits UP my sleeve.
6:03pm - Tugboat throws up right behind the couch that I'm sitting on trying to clean up my arm.
6:30pm - Chuck leaves with Jack to go to ER.
7:30-10:30pm - I call and harrass my men to get updates. Update usually is "we're in the waiting room" and once is "his head is wrapped in gauze and he looks like he's from the Civil War." Grandmommy is nervous, I'm not.
10:30-11:30pm - I'm finally nervous and take my anxiety out on the kitchen, which now sparkles.
11:30pm - Chuck driving home with Jackson and his 5 new stitches. Jackson talking to me on the phone. Semi edges Chuck off the highway and into a big cone barrell thing - mirror casing retracts like it's supposed to, but actual mirror pops off and drops onto the highway like it's NOT supposed to.
11:45pm - Getting Jackson in bed, getting Chuck ice cream as his prize. We all go to bed and hope tomorrow the world doesn't poop on us again.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Oh, Jamie! Tough day!! I hope Jackson and the whole banjostrand household is better tomorrow! You deserve a nice Thanksgiving after that!
Love, Amy