Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Shore

Holy Moly Chuck and I needed a vacation. We haven't been on a trip without the kids EVER. For those of you doing the math, that makes it over five years. It was time.

We got a really swanky room in this newish resort on the North Shore (of Lake Superior). This is the unit we stayed in - the bottom floor was ours.

It isn't really skiing time, or hiking time, so we got a great deal. And because of that, we were virtually the only people there. We hiked around, played on the rocks, enjoyed the pool and hot tub - all without a single other person being around us. There were no waits at restaurants, and no other tourists wandering around the quaint little towns. It was wonderful. The food, I should mention, was outstanding. We ate SO MUCH FOOD and pretty much everything was great. That includes the Goober Burger in Grand Marais. It was a hamburger with peanut butter and mayo. Sounds nasty, I agree, but it was delicious.

Chuck spent the time taking pictures of nature. That's his happy place.
I spent my time crawling over the rocks like a little kid, then sitting down next to the lake, closing my eyes and listening to the waves. That's MY happy place.
We didn't really have an agenda, but on our way back from Grand Marais one day we spotted Cascade Falls, and decided to go back and hike it the next day. When we got there a family was coming back to their car and saying how dangerously icy it was. "Whatever" we thought, and entered the park. It was REALLY icy. We should have paid attention. We skidded past lots of these signs.
This was the sunrise out our window the final morning.
I rolled over and opened my eyes long enough to take it in, then promptly fell back asleep. Chuck was sitting next to the window watching it, then stayed up long enough to watch a deer walk straight up to our window. Not sure how I missed that. Anyway, it was a GREAT weekend. Big ups to my mom for watching the kiddos!

No comments: