Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Jack Update

I've neglected this blog a bit and for that, I apologize.

I'll write two posts tonight - this one, catching you up on Jack's behavior, and a second that will update you all on our family in general.

So...there appears to have been a misunderstanding with regards to Jack's behavior. I can't really explain what happened except to say that there were some words used, like "aggressive," that got misconstrued, and then it all snowballed. We starting getting told every little thing, and we really were on him about not being nice to his friends. We thought that was what was going on. Today I cornered one of the lead teachers and made her clarify the situation. I asked if he was being malicious towards the other children. She said no, not at all, that it was all about him being bigger than the other kids and that he would accidentally run into them. That's normal. She said he was NOT mean at all and that the kids all love him.

He has things to work on. For sure. Chuck and I will own that, and we'll stay on him about it. But he is NOT being mean to other kids or doing stuff that's abnormal. We've been pestering him about doing something that he has NOT been doing, and for that I have tremendous Mommy Guilt.

After talking to Miss Christy, I went over to Jack. He was sitting on the rug waiting for their morning routine to start. I leaned down and hugged him and told him that I had a really good talk with Christy and I would tell him about it later. He goes "what did she say?" and I said "she said you were a good boy, Bud." He looked up at me and BEAMED. I almost cried.

Tonight I talked to him about it. I tried to explain what happened. It's hard enough for me to explain it to ADULTS, try a five year old. I told him that we thought this whole time that he was being mean to the children, and that's what we kept talking to him about. I said that I talked to Christy and she told me that he wasn't being mean, he was just being too rough with kids that aren't big like him.

I told him that I owed him an apology. He goes "that's okay Momma." Then he goes "why didn't you just talk to Christy before saying those things to me?" Oh my God.

So there you go. He is totally age appropriate.

No comments: