Thursday, December 10, 2009

Performing

We've had a myriad of illnesses in our household this week, and as a result I totally forgot the Holiday Performance at the kids' school. It was Tuesday morning and I was dropping Jackson off alone because Sick Daddy was taking Sick Ryker to the doctor. I walked in, feeling guilty about the Sick Ones, and was asked immediately by one of the teachers "well, aren't you coming back for the performance?" Hello again Guilt. And then "well, he DOES have a solo." More Guilt.

I got in the van and began driving, not sure if I was going to work or not. Guilt. But family comes first, so I went home and did some work until it was time for the performance.

The parents, lots of them, gathered in a large room waiting for the kids. Finally they began walking in, single file. One girl began crying as she glimpsed the large crowd. Their teacher asked Jack to take her in, so he led her in, holding her hand. It was adorable.

The kids sang a bunch of songs and did little hand motions with them. Little kids singing is just about the cutest thing. I was grinning ear to ear, alternately thinking about how much my cheeks hurt and wondering how the woman in front of me had not even been able to manage a smirk.

Then it happened - Jackson stepped forward all by himself. What a big boy he was. His bravery took me by surprise. He sang a line, the group repeated it, and so on until the song finished. He looked right at me as he sang, and held his hands together in front of him. When he was finished he grinned sheepishly and stepped back into line.

Later the big kids sat in the front row on the ground while the toddlers marched in. Chuck had arrived only minutes before with Ryker, who had been cleared to return to school and was promptly lined up with the others and ordered to dance. They marched into the room, stood in one line and danced, rang bells and clapped to about five songs. Ryk did great - didn't move from his spot except for the one time I made the mistake of waving to him and he took off running for me.

Then Santa came, all the kids got presents, and we all headed off for our various jobs. I told my coworkers about how great Jackson was and the first question they asked me was "what did he sing?" I had no idea - I was smiling so big that I couldn't really hear him. Sort of like my wedding - I remember really being happy, but could not tell you what was said. So I made Jack sing it for me that night (and he, in turn, made me play the part of the chorus and repeat his lines after him):

Christopher Columbus (Christopher Columbus) - Came to America (repeat) - On the Santa Mar-i-a (repeat) - in 1492 (repeat)...there was more but he was annoyed that I couldn't understand him so we just did those lines over and over again. The song is forever etched in my brain.

(Pictures are on Flickr, and next year I promise to bring something other than my iPhone so I can get better photos.)

No comments: