Monday, July 16, 2012

Math

I'm not that good at math. I'm okay, but nothing to write home about. Chuck's no better. He always said that he would have majored in physics if he had been better at math.

This makes Jack even more of a conundrum. The kid is a freak at math. I mean that in a good way.

The most recent example:

We were discussing rental properties. Random, I know. Jack goes, without pause, "so if they pay $1500 a month, I think they would pay about..hmm..almost $20,000 a year. Not quite."

He's not even 7.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I agree about his math ability. Unbelievable. While at my house two weeks ago he looked over at me and said, "Grandmommy, what is 60 take away90?" I just stared at him for a moment, trying to think how I would explain this in what I call "first grade" language. Before I could respond - maybe 5 seconds later - he said, "Oh wait! That would be negative 30!"

I know a lot of upper elementary kids (probably older than that, too) who would have trouble figuring out this example or Jamie's even with pencil and paper - and time to think about it.

Chuck said...

The mathematical ability comes from Jackson's great Uncle. He was able to get through the Naval Academy at Annapolis by the shear force of his math skills and it helped him in his career at NASA. So, the math skills are in the family, it just isn't in his parents.

Beth Karlsson said...

Woah. That is very impressive!!!